Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rest in peace, mister fox.

I found the other fox, the male.  Spread out on my front lawn like a snow angel.  If snow angels were made of gore and grass.  It was the first thing I saw after I walked out of my front door this morning as I headed to work.  It was an early shift, so none of my neighbors were even up yet.  I called the Humane Society again after I got to work and pulled myself together enough to be coherent.  I wound up having to leave work early, as I was so rattled that I was pretty much worthless to everyone.  I got home just in time to see the HS cleanup van leaving my parking lot.  The grass was stained dark from what was left of the fox.  I hurried inside so I wouldn't have to look at it anymore. 

It's raining now, thankfully.  But what or whoever killed my foxes wanted me to see this.  At least, that's my prevailing theory, I don't have any proof.  It could have just been a horrific coincidence.  Or there really is a monster out there that's letting itself into my house in the middle of the night and slaying anything that it might view as a competing predator.  Clearly I need more sleep, as my imagination won't stop generating insane fantasy scenarios to insert some logic into a situation that has none. 

I'm going to stop for now, my neighbor's basset hound won't stop freaking out on the lawn.  And it's giving me a significant headache.  At least my brain and my heart feel the same now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment